US Xperia Z5 with NO Fingerprint Sensor? Remix OS is GPL Compliant, Galaxy Nexus Receives CM Lollipop!
It’s Friday, January 22, 2016, and let’s talk about what happened this week over at XDA-developers.com.
As I mentioned previously, Sony is bringing the Xperia Z5 and Z5C to the US, but what wasn’t mentioned before was that, for some reason, they’re removing the fingerprint sensor. It’s still a great device, even without the sensor, but I’d say that omission is going to drive quite a few potential buyers away.
Elephone has made the P9000 Edge official, announcing a buttload of specs and that it will ship with Marshmallow, but not actually providing any pricing or availability information.
The Asus ZenFone Max, with its massive 5000 milliamp hour battery, is now available to purchase on Amazon and Flipkart in India for just under 10,000 rupees, or about $150 US dollars.
Samsung announced the pricing and availability of the Gear VR and the Gear S2 in India this week, with the Gear VR at 8200 Rupees, and the Gear S2 models around 25,000 Rupees.
“Dell released a 2016 model of their Venue 8 Pro tablet, with an 8″ 1080p display, LTE and NFC capabilities, and a full install of Windows 10, starting at just $399.”
A decently inexpensive Windows 10 phone was announced by Bush in the UK. The Eluma has relatively mid-range specs, but it supports LTE and is just under 80 british pounds, so not too shabby.
In an interesting turn of events, Xiaomi has apparently reverted to locking bootloaders again. According to an announcement on their forum, the Redmi Note 3’s bootloader is locked, and they’ll be locking the 4c and Note Pro as well moving forward, and eventually other devices. Beyond that, the unlocking process apparently is going to take up to 21 days, because they have to manually approve every single one, and that’s only if they decide you’re worthy. That’s… well, that’s confusing. Obviously as a development community, I’m curious what your thoughts are on this one… let us know down in the comments.
In some more development-friendly news, XDA had a call with Jide this week, and they are now officially GPL and Apache licensing compliant, with source code available through Github, so if you’d like to check any of that out, links in the portal post.
Preview 5 of the new Android Studio 2.0 is available, bringing along the ability to test out new incremental changes without having to restart an app.
The Moto G Turbo Edition has started receiving its Android 6 update in India.
HTC One M8 users in the UK have started receiving Android 6 as well, and the M9 should be receiving it soon. The One M8 on Sprint and T-Mobile are going to be receiving the update in the next week or so as well.
Sony decided to update the Xperia C4 to Android 5.1, strangely enough, so check for that update too if you’ve got that device.
And to wrap things up, 3 new videos were posted to XDA TV. TK did a full review of the Honor 5X, then the 11th episode of the XDA/Android podcast was released, and Ronald did a tutorial on replacing the screen on a Moto X Pure edition.
But you know what? That’s going to be about all from me for today. You can find the links to all the stories I talked about in the video description, as well as the links to my YouTube channels. Remember if you likes this video give us a “Thumbs up” down below if you liked this video and subscribe to receive our content as soon as it becomes available. Thanks for watching, and I’ll see you next time.
Be sure to check out other great XDA TV Videos.
- Jordan’s Tech News Video
- US Version of Sony Xperia Z5 and Z5C Will Not Ship with Fingerprint Sensor
- Elephone Announces the P9000 Edge with its Edge to Edge Display
- Asus’ 5,000mAh ZenFone Max is Now Available in India
- Samsung Announces the Launch of Gear S2 in India this Week
- Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows 10 Tablet: FHD Display, LTE for $399
- Windows 10 Phone Based Bush Eluma Available for £79.95 in the UK
- Xiaomi Locks Bootloaders; Unlock Approval Takes up to 21 Days, Bricked Devices Must Wait
- Jide: Remix is Now GPL and Apache Compliant
- Android Studio 2.0 Preview 5 is now Available in the Canary Channel
- Motorola Moto G Turbo Edition Gets Android 6.0 Update in India
- Android 6.0 Rolling Out to HTC One M8 Users in UK; M9 to Follow “Shortly”
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow Update Reaching One M8 on Sprint and T-Mobile
- Xperia C4 Unexpectedly Receives Android 5.1 Update
- ZUK Z1 Gets Official CM13 Nightlies
- Official CyanogenMod 13 Nightly Builds Arrive for the Nook Tablet
- Galaxy Nexus gets a Taste of Lollipop Thanks to CyanogenMod
- CyanogenMod 13.0 Hits The Sony Xperia Z
- CyanogenMod 13 Surfaces For Yu Yutopia
- honor 5X Review: What Do You Get for $199?
- XDA/Android Podcast Episode 11: “Tripping on VR”
- How to Replace Moto X Pure Screen – XDA TV