Nearby is a new way for Google to show you relevant information based on your surroundings
Google has announced a new way to discover things around you called Nearby. Don't confuse this with the feature that the company unveiled last year that let you share things easily with those around you, as this is different. Whether you are at a museum or in an airport, Nearby will push things to you that could be useful.
Google lists some examples of how it will work, including:
- Print photos directly from your phone at CVS Pharmacy.
- Explore historical landmarks at the University of Notre Dame.
- Download the audio tour when you're at The Broad in LA.
- Skip the customs line at select airports with Mobile Passport.
- Download the United Airlines app for free in-flight entertainment while you wait at the gate, before you board your flight.
This will be made available as part of an upcoming Google Play Services release, and will work on phones running Android 4.4 and above.