Sprint integration in Google Voice is coming to an end
- Sprint’s built-in Google Voice integration features will come to an end as of June 1.
- Google explains how to determine if you’ll be affected, and what to do before June 1 to ensure a smooth transition.
Sprint integration inside Google Voice will be no more “due to upcoming upgrades to Sprint’s network,” Google warns.
While Google Voice got a complete makeover last year, Sprint’s built-in Google Voice integration features remained unchanged. Sprint users could still access call-forwarding, voicemail transcription, and spam detection all without having to change or port their phone number. However, this will soon come to an end, according to Google. The company states that due to upcoming upgrades to Sprint’s network, from June 1, all calls and texts will be made through Sprint’s own network and no longer be stored in Google Voice. These are all the changes coming on June 1 for Sprint users:
- All outgoing calls (including international calls) and texts will be made through Sprint at Sprint’s calling and texting rates, if applicable.
- All new messages, calls, and voicemails sent from your Sprint phone will not be stored in Google Voice. You will still be able to see your messages, voicemail, and call history from before June 1, 2018 in Google Voice on your Sprint device. You can also export this data from your Google Voice account at takeout.google.com.
- You won’t be able to use Google Voice-enabled capabilities such as call forwarding, voicemail transcription, spam detection, and other Google Voice features. These capabilities can be enabled from your Sprint device.
To determine whether you are affected, simply navigate to the legacy Google Voice settings, and there will be a Sprint icon if you have integration enabled. If you see the icon, Google recommends the following:
- Disable the Google Voice with Sprint integration by following these steps:
- Navigate to the “Phones” tab in the legacy Google Voice settings
- Identify the phone number using the Sprint integration in the list
- Select “Disable Sprint integration” link
- If you blocked any phone numbers in Google Voice, you need to re-block those phone numbers in MySprint or on your device.
- You can install the Google Voice app on your mobile devices to continue using the Google Voice service.