Playing Fortnite on Android or iOS? If so, there's a new update out that you'll probably want to grab.
Epic Games has announced Fortnite v5.40. The update includes some notable improvements for mobile players, like the addition of VOIP for Android. Epic has expanded support for Android devices, too, adding the Essential Phone as well as some Motorola, HTC, and Sony devices.
Another notable improvement is that Epic has made "major memory optimization" on Android devices with Adreno GPUs. This tweak should address the performance degradation seen by some users due to memory pressure. There have been some issues with screen resolution in certain locales that've been corrected, too.
Meanwhile, iOS users can expect bug fixes like the screen no longer timing out without user input and usable gyro controls regardless of orientation.
Here's the full list of mobile-related changes included with Fortnite v5.40:
- Added VOIP to Android.
- Expanded device support to the Essential-PH, Motorola, HTC, Sony Xperia devices.
- Major memory optimization on Android devices with Adreno GPUs. This addresses the performance degradation seen due to memory pressure.
- Implemented a new Audio Mixer, which addresses issues with sound quality and consistency.
- Items on the ground now have tooltips.
- Custom HUD Layout Tool now has a more consistent apply/cancel flow.
- The player healthbar and squad healthbars are now moveable in the Custom HUD Layout tool.
- Dragging-and-dropping an item from the quickbar now drops the whole stack. To split a stack, drag-and-drop with the inventory window open.
- Dragging-and-dropping an item from the quickbar no longer stops consumable use.
- UI prompts now appear on vehicles for entering and switching seats.
- Corrected some issues with screen resolution in certain locales on Android.
- The screen will no longer timeout without user input on iOS.
- Adjusted steering sensitivity on vehicles.
- Players are now able to thank the bus driver.
- Gyro controls are now usable regardless of orientation on iOS.
- Resolved an issue with turbo-building sometimes being stuck “on” when using the quickbar to turbo-build.
- Fixed the challenges button to use large buttons on mobile.
- Fixed an issue where toggling between pickaxe/weapons wouldn’t properly change weapons.
- Exhaust problems with the Street Racer Bike Gliders for mobile have been repaired. The Bikes should run clean now.
- No longer able to interact with UI behind the challenges screen.
- Players who are experiencing issues with abruptly going to the Home Screen when pressing jump on certain Samsung Galaxy devices can do the following to fix the issue. Go to Settings > Display > Navigation > Hard Press Home Button > Turn the feature off